The Historical Antiquities Of Hertfordshire: With The Original of Counties, Hundreds or Wapentakes, Boroughs, Corporations, Towns, Parishes, Villages, and Hamlets; The Foundation and Origin of Monasteries, Churches, Advowsons, Tythes, Rectories, Impropriations and Vicarages, in General; Describing Those of this County in Particular: As also the Several Honors, Mannors, Castles, Seats, and Parks of the Nobility and Gentry; And the Succession of the Lords of each Manor therein. ... Illustrated with a large Map of the County; a Prospect of Hertford; the Ichnography of St. Albans and Hitchin; And many Sculptures of the principal Edifies and Monuments.
Folio (376 x 242 mm.) Handsomely bound by Francis Bedford (1799-1883) in full tan calf, triple gilt-fillet borders to the upper and lower boards, the spine divided into seven compartments with raised bands gilt, black morocco and gilt label to the second compartment, the remaining compartments decorated with gilt centre tools comprised of sprigs, crowns and acorns, the spandrels with floral curlicues and acorns, a.e.g., decorative gilt turn-ins, marbled endpapers; title-page printed in red and black, [iv, dedication], [iv, preface], 601, xxiii pp., 1f., ‘Directions for placing the Cuts...’; engraved portrait frontispiece of the author, large folding engraved county map by Herman Moll (c.1654-1732) and a further 43 engraved plates, the majority double-page and folding, by Jan Drapentier (fl. 1674-1713) and John Savage (fl. 1683-1701); expert repairs by Bedford to a marginal closed tear in the frontispiece and the margins of a few of the plates, else a particularly fine, crisp copy, complete with the county map and the directions to the binder leaf.
Provenance: 1. Henry Hucks Gibbs, 1st Baron Aldenham (1819-1907), with his armorial bookplate to the front pastedown and inscribed by him in ink to the upper corner of the preliminary blank, ‘Henry H. Gibbs/ St. Dunstans 1865’. Hucks Gibbs was a director of the Bank of England from 1853 until 1901, becoming its Deputy Governor in 1875, a post he held until 1877. He was appointed High Sheriff of Hertfordshire in 1884 and was elected as MP for the City of London in 1891. 2. John G. Murray with his engraved armorial bookplate to the rear pastedown.
Brunet I, 1827; Lowndes 430; Upcott, 333; Wing, C7341
Stock number: 1275