Designs for Schools and School Houses, Parochial and National.
Folio (550 x 380 mm.) Bound in the publisher’s original full brown decorative cloth, the upper board attractively stamped in blind and gilt, the lower board with a blind-stamped border, gilt-lettered spine; tinted lithograph title-page with hand-coloured lettering, vipp., 12ff., 20 lithograph plates of which 8 are tinted, the accompanying descriptive text leaves are printed within decorative borders; the corners and the head and tail of the spine slightly bumped, else a very good copy.
First edition. Along with his father, also Henry Edward, Kendall was a co-founder of what subsequently became the RIBA. Kendall’s long career encompassed, country house design, such as Shuckburgh Hall near Daventry, a large house on the site of Pope’s villa at Twickenham, and extensive remodelling of Knebworth, as well as a large number of number of institutional projects, including lunatic asylums, churches and schools, the majority executed in a Gothic or ‘Tudor’ style.
COPAC lists only the British Library and the David Wilson Library of Rare Books at Leicester University as holding copies of the first edition.
Stock number: 1183