Cuzner's Hand-book to Froome-Selwood
8vo. Original dark green straight-grain cloth, the upper and lower boards attractively blind-stamped with triple borders and floral spandrels, the upper board gilt-titled; iv, 152 pp., 12 engraved plates, including the frontispiece; very light occasional spotting, confined in the main to the verso of the plates, otherwise a bright, sound copy.
A lively description of Frome and its environs in the mid-nineteenth-century. A brief history and description of the town is followed by descriptions of Marston House, Farleigh Castle, and Longleat. There is much useful information on Frome’s churches, schools, banks, tanneries, cloth manufacturies, hotels and boarding houses, ‘errand people from Frome’, and where horses and conveyances may be had for hire.
The description of Marston House is taken from Collinson’s History of Somerset, augmented with contemporary descriptions of recent alterations to the house, ‘About ten years ago, a new ENTRANCE HALL, GRAND STAIR-CASE, and additional rooms were erected.’ ‘During the summer of the present year the noble earl has made some important additions to the west wing of the mansion, greatly improved the library, and built new billiard and ball rooms, etc.’
The British Library, one of nine libraries reporting copies to COPAC, dates the present work to around 1865.
Stock number: 1194